Friday, August 26, 2011

Books and why? plus more scalzi

I feel awkward telling people what books I read.  At the library, on this blog, at school, I just don't like it.  Because it's personal for me.  I think that people gain some insight on what I'm like from the books I read.  Or think they do.  And I don't want them to.  Talk to me to find out what I'm like, just don't look at books I read and assume things.  Read a random book about vampires recently.  (It wasn't Twilight)  The librarian talked to me about it.  That's a no-no for me.  I HATE librarians noticing what I read.  I never read vampire books.  I picked a random book by an author I'd read.  I didn't know it was about vampires.  The book sucked anyway.

Finished The Ghost Brigades by John Scalzi.  A sort of sequel to Old Man's War, a book that I had said was compared to The Forever War earlier.  (I didn't really see too many similarities)  The thing I admire about the book is that it is only slightly related to the first book in the "series."  The book made references to people and events from the first book.  But this new book had a completely different plot-line, almost completely different characters, perspective, setting.  But it was still related.  I wish all authors could write sequels like he does.  It almost seems like he isn't doing it to make money.  (Maybe he was, or maybe he was just doing it for his fans who wanted more)  The Ghost Brigades?  8 out of 10.

~another musing of the ill-informed~

No comments:

Post a Comment