Friday, August 19, 2011

I do read a lot, don't i?

Some "interesting" books for your consideration.

Just read Old Man's War by Scalzi.  I liked it.  I liked some of the concepts, but then it got kind of boring.  I guess it is a rather well known book.  At the beginning it has this Avatar-like thing where they transplant your consciuosness into a different body.  Except I'm pretty sure the book came first.  Anyway...the book style was a little more realistic in that they actually leave your "brain" in your new body, not switching it haphazardly back and forth like they do in Avatar.  It would make sense to have a physical connection to a body rather than a psychic one.  Although on a level it is kind of a psychic connection at the onset.  So I liked the book, but it kind of got tedious after a while.

I'm now reading The Forever War, by Haldeman.  It has a foreward from Scalzi talking about how everyone thought he had based Old Man's War off Haldeman's book.  So it makes it sort of ironic that I read Scalzi's book first.  Orson Scott Card trumps all.  Just saying.

Also read The Eye of the World by Robert Jordan.  A daunting book.  It has 600+ pages.  Way too many.  Who would want to read 600 pages?  Not me.  But I did, only to find out that the book has a sequel.  Now why would you need a sequel after 600 pages?  Then I go even further to look online to find that there is not only one, but 17 sequels to this novel, which was published 21 years ago.  That is just ridiculous.  I did not feel like looking to see how many pages these were, but I bet they were up there.  Ridiculous.  Another thing?  Robert Jordan is dead.  Some bozo is making the last 3 books in the series.  Crazy.  I don't even think I want to read the rest of the books...

~another musing of the ill-informed~

No comments:

Post a Comment