Monday, September 12, 2011

Inconceivable!

I just realized that I didn't post on this yesterday for 9/11.  I would like to thank our troops for all that they do overseas and also the first responders who are always always ALWAYS there helping those in need.  They truly do an amazing job.  I am glad that this nation is protected by such capable hands.

I mentioned that I read The Princess Bride, S. Morgenstern.  One part that is interesting is when Westley is being tortured by Rugen.  Usually, he doesn't mind too much, he just goes off in his mind with his love.  Enter the machine.  This differs a little bit from the movie.  The movie just puts a couple of suction cups on Westley.  The book covers Westley with suction cups, including his nostrils, eardrums, eyelids, and tongue.  This makes it impossible for him to retreat to his love.  After his "treatment," Westley just cries.  Why?  Is it because he feels he will eventually die from the machine?  Is is because he knows he could never endure such a thing?  He just cries.  Because no words could express the hurt and anguish that he feels.  This is the saddest part in the book for me.  Because this unbreakable man has just submitted to evil.  He's done. 

~another musing of the ill-informed~

No comments:

Post a Comment